Place Names of South Australia - C
Cold and Wet - Colton
- Cold and Wet
- Coles, Hundred of
- College Park
- College Town
- Colley Hill
- Collinsfield, Lake
- Colonel Light Gardens
Cold and WetThis name, which is no doubt descriptive, was given to a pastoral station near Coonalpyn; a manganese deposit was reported to have been found there - see Record of the Mines of South Australia (fourth edition) page 370.
Information on the station is in the Observer,
4 December 1880, page 961e.
Boring for water at Cold and Wet is reported in the Advertiser,
23 July 1886, page 6d.
Also see South Australia - Water Conservation.
A report in the Register of 1 May 1894, page 7a says:
Between Murray Bridge and Tailem Bend thousands of pines, which a few years ago were not observable from the train, now raise their crests above the tops of the low-lying mallee and pleasingly diversify the landscape. We ran into rain as we approached the station once known as Cold and Wet, but now rejoicing in the more euphonious cognomen, 'Coonalpyn'.
The name was applied to a school in 1940.
Coles, Hundred of
Sir Jenkin Coles, MP (1875-1911). Born in New South Wales in 1843, he came to South Australia in 1854, entering the police force in 1861 when he was stationed at Overland Corner. 1864 found him at Kapunda as an auctioneer and stock agent with a popular 'trick of repartee'. He was elected Speaker in 1889 when the Register proclaimed 'the best prize fighter makes the fairest referee'.
Also see South Australia - Politics.
"The Blackmail Scandal" is in the Observer,
26 February 1876, pages 2f-13b,
4 March 1876, page 13d.
For some time past vague rumours affecting the character of three members of the Legislature in connection with a certain government land sale have been whispered about in such a way as to lead to the impression that they had a distinct foundation in fact... So far as Mr. Coles in concerned we are authorised by him to give the story an absolute and complete denial... So far as we are concerned we
do not believe that he ever tried to extort money from Mr. Hay by threatening to oppose him in the auction room...
Biographical details of Jenkin Coles appear in the Register,
6 June 1890, page 6c,
1 January 1894, page 7d,
28 December 1901, page 1.
"The Retiring Speaker" appears in the Register,
17 and 18 November 1911, pages 6e-7a and 9a; also see
7 December 1911, pages 6c-7e,
25 November 1911, pages 33d-46a.
Photographs of his Adelaide residence and of both himself and Lady Coles are in the Chronicle,
24 January 1903, page 41.
College ParkInformation on the cricket club is in the Express,
26 November 1874, page 2c;
a match versus "Sussex", is reported in the Register,
4 October 1875, page 6c.
13 July 1882, page 5e. Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany
Its football team is discussed in the Express,
18 March 1882, page 2c,
25 March 1882, page 12b.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Football.
Information on the Congregational Church is in the Chronicle,
22 November 1879, page 3c (supp.) and
20 December 1879, page 8c
31 July 1928, page 8c.
Information on a lawn tennis club is in the Express,
28 August 1888, page 4d.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Tennis.
The building of and inauguration of Hardwicke College is in the Register,
22 June 1883, page 5b,
22 December 1883, page 9d;
examinations are reported on
26 December 1885, page 8c.
Information on J.O. Ladd's cordial factory is in the Register,
17 October 1885, page 5c.
Also see Adelaide - Factories and Mills.
"College Park Parliament" is in the Register,
9 July 1904, page 4a.
A strike at R. McEwin's Jam Factory is reported in the Observer,
1 and 8 October 1910, pages 39d and 47a.
"Early Morning Affray - Constable and Suspects" is in the Register,
19 November 1913, page 13a,
3 December 1913, page 15f:
The neighbourhood of Baliol Street was disturbed on a Tuesday morning in 1913 by the occurrence of sensational episodes embracing the exchange of revolver shots between a police constable and two suspected criminals...
With bandaged forehead - an eloquent testimony to the severity of his struggle with Constable Rowney - George Palmer, a young man, appeared at the Adelaide court and charged as having been in the unlawful possession of certain instruments for housebreaking...
Also see South Australia - Police.
The golden wedding of Mr & Mrs B.A. Moulden is reported in the Observer, 30 September 1922, page 32e.
College Park - Obituaries
An obituary of George Wyatt is in the Register,
12 October 1877, page 5b,
of Rev. Frederick Searle on 25 July 1883, page 5a,
of John Godlee on 17 June 1891, page 5a,
of Adam Adamson on 22 January 1898, page 6g,
of William Judd on 12 February 1898, page 4h,
of George Sanders on 25 February 1899, page 4i
of R.P. Robinson on 1 November 1899, page 5b.
An obituary of J.W. Bull is in the Register,
22 September 1886, page 5b,
of Mrs Adam Adamson on 15 and 16 June 1897, pages 4h and 7g,
of William Judd in the Observer, 19 February 1898, page 30b.
An obituary of Richard Lathlean is in the Observer,
8 November 1902, page 37a,
of H. Hannam on 13 July 1907, page 40b,
of Richard Haselgrove on 14 December 1907, page 40b,
of Theodore Godlee on 11 July 1908, page 40b,
of Mrs W.F. Buttrose on 20 November 1909, page 38a.
An obituary of Charles R. Hawkes is in the Register,
25 June 1907, page 7d,
of H. Hannam on 6 July 1907, page 7c,
of Richard Haselgrove on 12 December 1907, page 6i,
of Theodore Godlee on 7 July 1908, page 4h,
of Mrs W.F. Buttrose on 13 November 1909, page 13f,
of A.W. Dobbie on 19 July 1912, page 7b,
of W.R. Hunt on 20 October 1913, page 8b,
of M.F. Price on 1 September 1915, page 8g,
of Paul T. Scott on 8 August 1923, page 11e,
of Arthur H. Nash on 6 September 1923, page 8h,
of Charles Rutt on 19 May 1924, page 8g.
An obituary of Dr Frank Magarey is in the Observer,
10 February 1912, page 41d,
of A.W. Dobbie on 27 July 1912, page 53a
of W.R. Hunt on 25 October 1913, page 41a,
of Miss Olga Nienaber on 29 May 1915, page 45a,
of Mrs M.F. Price on 11 September 1915, page 47a,
Mrs Mary A. Combe on 12 August 1916, page 20a,
of E.M. Twiss on 22 May 1920, page 30e.
An obituary of Charles Chapman is in the Observer,
15 March 1924, page 43c,
of Walter Rutt on 24 May 1924, page 45b,
of T.S. Gillman on 30 January 1926, page 37c
, of B.A. Moulden on 25 December 1926, page 45d.
An obituary of Mrs Esther C.E. Dobbie is in the Register,
17 October 1925, page 5d,
of Thomas S. Gillman on 25 January 1926, page 6h,
of Henry M. Bristowe on 22 November 1926, page 9g,
of Otto N. Nienaber on 29 November 1927, page 11f.
An 1849 subdivision of section 256, Hundred of Adelaide by William Randall, at which time construction of Saint Peter's College had commenced. It comprised 24 'villa allotments' :
- ... nearly adjoining the Company's Mill, commanding an extensive view of the Park Land and North Adelaide and being closely adjacent to the college... In the same soil Mr Bailey has naturalised the productions of Pomona and Flora from all quarters of the globe.
A report on the laying of the memorial stone of the Congregational Church is reported in the Register,
18 November 1879 (supp.), page 1a; also see
14 and 16 June 1880, pages 6f and 6e:
The memorial stone of a new Congregational Church was laid on 17 November 1879... Mr. John Wark, of Eastwood, has the contract for the first portion of the building... Messrs James Cumming and E. Davies are the architects...
A description of Rothesay House and gardens is in the Register,
16 December 1880 (supp.), page 1f;
Erne Cottage is similarly described on
21 December 1880 (supp.), page 1f.
An obituary of James Storie is in the Register,
20 January 1882, page 5a,
of Charles Temple on 10 February 1882, page 5a,
of F.B. Blondell on 23 October 1889, page 5b,
of James T. Williams on 9 September 1903, page 7a,
of Mrs Alice Maclaren on 15 November 1924, page 8h.
Information on William Hunter is in the Register,
10 September 1906, page 5c.
Taken from Geoffrey H. Manning's A Colonial Experience
There was not a hovel in College Town, the cottages being large, handsome and new. Every house was built back on its allotment and nearly every one had a garden. Here and there Buffalo grass had been planted and, when mowed regularly, a neat clean space was to be had at the front door. Among the prettiest gardens was that of Mr & Mrs A.W. Dobbie - it was laid out with a central circular bed, with circular paths and geometric beds around it, whilst at each side there was a straight path, bounded by a long, straight bed adjoining the fence. On the north side was a carriage drive leading to the back of the house.
The land at the back was occupied by a well-kept lawn, which made a nice clean playground for the children. In beds scattered about were a great number of dahlias, which grew exceedingly well there. Over the door at the back of the house was a vine-clad arbour and we were told that during summer there were enough grapes to satisfy the most extravagant demands of the children. There were several orange, apricot and cherry trees that furnished numerous treats to the youngsters at the proper season. A small green house stood at the back in which were kept a number of plants such as begonias, pansies, coleus, phlox, fuschias and many others.
No one walking down Baliol Street could fail to admire the beautiful garden of Mr Hartley at Erne Cottage, whose endeavours to advance the love of floriculture amongst children proved so successful. First, he commenced by filling their minds with the idea of holding a flower show - later, this was carried out successfully - and gave lessons in floriculture to children, illustrated by practical experiments, showing them how to take cuttings, sow seeds, mix the proper soils and so on.
On section 19, Hundred of Witera on Eyre Peninsula. R.B. Colley who held an adjacent pastoral lease.
The district is described in the Register,
4 September 1906, page 7a.
Historical information on the district is in the Register,
4 July 1913, page 9c.
The Colley School was inexplicably opened as "Collie" in 1913; it closed in 1939. See Advertiser,
22 May 1912, page 8g which has information on the school and, in part, differs from official records in the Department of Education. Also see
25 May 1912, page 41e:
The two recently established half-time schools, Conglima and Collie [sic], are in the midst of a dense scrub where the settler has much to do in the way of clearing... At Collie the school had only been opened five days and the children, not having attended school before, had all been placed in the junior class. A bright girl of 17 years and 10 months, who was picked out as the best, attempted to read, but failed to do so...
ColleysR.B. Colley's obituary appears in the Observer,
5 June 1875, page 8b.
Biographical information is in the Register,
18 November 1875, page 5c.
Colleytown is mentioned in a report on incendiarism at Thomas Burgess's farm in the Border Watch on 25 April 1868.
John Howard Angas arrived in South Australia in 1843 and returned to England in 1854 where he married Suzanne Collins, the only daughter of a mill owner of Bowden, Cheshire. His father, George Fife Angas, advanced him the sum of £500 and about 1856 he built a home on his father's land 6 km south-east of Angaston which he named 'Collingrove' as a tribute to his wife.
A photograph of the house is in The Critic,
11 August 1900, page 25.
Information on the church is in the Register,
6 September 1906, page 3e,
3, 4, 5, 7 and 10 August 1911, pages 6e, 3b, 6e, 15a, 6g and 6e.
Mrs J.H. Angas' obituary appears on
15 April 1910, page 5b.
"Christmas at Collingrove" is in the Chronicle,
3 January 1903, page 34c,
2 January 1904, page 34d; (see South Australia - The Colony - Christmas in South Australia)
a photograph of the house appears
on 10 October 1903, page 43:
On Christmas Day 1903 the people of Tarrawatta, which is the native name of the country where the station Collingrove is situated, held a picnic to welcome home Mr. & Mrs Angas... The gathering took place in one of the paddocks and it was a most successful affair. A number of Angaston residents were present, by invitation, and the Federal Brass Band enlivened the proceedings... Among those who have been employed by Mr. Angas for a lengthy period are Messrs Glastonbury (23 years), P. Tate, 20 years and Harrison, coachman, (17 years)... In the morning a rifle match was fired by the Tarrawatta Rifle Club special prizes being presented by Messrs J.E. Swann and G. Clark... Until a fortnight ago, when his score was equaled, E.S. Matthews held the record for the highest score made in a small bore match in South Australia... In the afternoon a cricket match was played against Keyneton the result being a win for the home team by 60 runs to 30...
A subdivision of section 63, Hundred of Redhill 8 km south of Redhill lasid out by Joseph Collins in 1875.
A trip from Saddleworth to Collinsfield is described in the Register,
5 September 1874, page 6c;
it includes a description of the local store/lodging house. Also see
Farmers Weekly Messenger,
11 December 1874, page 5b:
The storekeeper there has been forced into affording accommodation for travellers and the demand is so great as to exhaust all his rude appliances to meet the requirements of the road... Fancy a little pine hut divided into kitchen and three bedrooms, the cob a great deal broken away from between the slabs and the chimney so persistently smoky as to decline to draw at all unless all the doors are open. No woman's face brightens the scene - no woman's hands do battle with the dirt... Those who are the most impudent get the beds; those who are modest get the floor. A large hotel is in the course of erection...
The death of Joseph Collins is reported in the Register,
19 and 20 January 1876, pages 5f and 6b.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Primitive Methodist Church is reported in the Observer,
29 June 1878, page 11e.
Its school opened in 1879 and closed in 1910.
A description of Mr F. Wheaton's farm and an outbreak of typhoid fever is in the Register,
25 April 1889, page 3h.
Also see South Australia - Health - Fevers - Typhoid.
A photograph of wheat stacks at the railway station is in the Chronicle,
31 January 1925, page 36.
A post office opened circa 1895 on section 278, Hundred of Tomkinson 26 km ENE of Hallett. Henry Collins (1833-1929), an early settler who arrived from Cornwall, England in the Isabella Watson in 1846. In 1916 the Nomenclature Committee recommended it be changed to 'Metiappa', an abridgement of 'Piltimetiappa', the Aboriginal name for a local creek.
Biographical details, etc., of H.W. Collins and John Collins are in the Register, 11 April 1904, page 3e:
Mr. John Collins? residence is a veritable oasis, with its acres of lucerne looking brilliantly green and cool... Like his brother, Mr.. HAW. Collins, at Mallet, 3 miles north, the owner of Collinsville chose for his station the country over which flow the flood waters from Ulooloo Creek...
An obituary of H.C. Collins is in the Register,
20 September 1919, page 8i.
A photograph of the homestead is in The Critic,
13 December 1911.
A subdivision of part section 474, Hundred of Yatala by the executors of the estate of George F. Angas in 1880. (See Place Names - Collingrove.)
The Register of 27 October 1883 at page 8d describes the subdivision:
Collinswood is divided into large-sized blocks eminently adapted for gentlemen's residences, etc. To make this sale's success the subdividers have fixed the reserve as low as possible. The allotments are large and so arranged that the blocks can be secured of any frontage, with a depth of up to 400 feet, with 60 feet roads. This beautiful property overlooks Adelaide, Kensington and Norwood and commands most extensive views of the Torrens Valley and the hills. Easy access to the city by means
of the Walkerville tramway on one side and the Enfield tramway on the other. Water is laid on to Collinswood and it is so highly elevated that there is always a current of air and the leading doctors are recommending the neighbourhood as the healthiest near Adelaide...
An obituary of W.A. Clutterbuck is in the Register,
1 September 1922, page 6h,
of Arthur Althorp on 22 April 1926, page 8g,
of Mrs Amalie Heuzenroeder on 17 January 1927, page 8h.
ColonaA photograph of the station is in the Observer, 24 June 1911, page 32.
Colonel Light Gardens
In 1915, Charles C. Reade was appointed by the SA Government to advise on town planning. He was not impressed with the haphazard development of Adelaide's suburbs and decided to win support by planning a model suburb with proper provision for schools, recreation areas, public buildings, etc. The Vaughan Labor Government was impressed by his ideas and in June 1915 bought the Mortlock Park Estate of nearly 300 acres. Because of the war and lack of finance the plans were shelved for some time and further complications were encountered in 1924, when the whole course of development was altered by the sale to the State Bank of all the southern part of the suburb.
The Register of 20 November 1919, page 11 says:
What shall be the name of the garden suburb to be established at Mitcham on the site of the old military camp... It was designated the Mitcham Garden suburb, but the title was only one of convenience. The Attorney-General said two had been made, either Gallipoli or Allenby. Mr. Denny, MC, rose at once and said he hoped that it would not be adopted. The name of Allenby would not be at all attractive to a returned soldier... General Allenby was no doubt a brilliant cavalry officer, but he had used derogatory and insulting words about the Australian light horsemen.
The Advertiser, 21 February 1920, page 8f says:
It has been practically decided to apply the name of Cavell to the proposed garden suburb near Mitcham in honour of Miss Edith Cavell, the British war heroine... There is a suggestion to name the streets after battlefields where the Australian troops distinguished themselves.
"The Garden Suburb" is in the Register,
15 June 1920, page 8c; also see
3 June 1921, page 6g,
22 August 1921, page 9g,
24 November 1921, page 5,
18 August 1921, page 9a,
5 July 1923, page 5c,
31 January 1924, page 5g,
2 July 1924, page 9f,
19 December 1924, page 12g,
21 June 1924, page 58a,
24 January 1925, page 44c.
13 and 27 March 1925, pages 9a and 8d,
19 and 26 January 1926, pages 8d and 13g,
24 January 1925, pages 31-44c,
22 August 1925, page 37a,
19 September 1925, page 66d,
17 and 19 March 1926, pages 14c and 18c,
25 March 1926, page 8f,
10 June 1926, page 15c,
14 December 1927, page 17d.
Photographs are in the Observer,
24 January 1925, page 31,
6 March 1926, page 37.
"Triumph of Town Planning" is in The Mail,
27 October 1923, page 9c,
31 January 1925, page 3a,
"Homes for the People" is in the Advertiser,
7 and 10 July 1924, pages 8g and 12g,
13 August 1924, page 9a; also see
13 December 1924, page 14c,
12 March 1925, page 9b,
8 October 1925, page 12d,
30 March 1926, page 14b.
Also see Adelaide - Social Matters and Town Planning.
A proposed tramway is discussed in the Register on
19 May 1922, page 7f,
11 January 1923, page 6e,
2 June 1923, page 17d (opening); also see
9 and 18 February 1927, pages 11e and 8f.
Also see Adelaide - Transport - Tramways.
The opening of the Baptist Church is reported in the Register,
2 March 1925, page 3g.
Photographs are in the Observer,
7 March 1925, page 32.
"Eight Churches at Colonel Light Gardens" is in the Register,
11 September 1925, page 15c; also see
19 October 1925, page 12d,
13 November 1925, page 10e.
"A Playground Project" is in the Register,
1 March 1926, page 11a,
The opening of a playground is reported in the Register,
17 October 1927, page 13b; also see
20 February 1928, page 11c.
also see Chronicle,
25 February 1928, pages 40 and 56 and Adelaide - Entertainment and the Arts - Miscellany - Playgrounds.
"Visit to Colonel Light Gardens" is in the Register,
10 November 1926, page 13b.
The primary school opened in 1927.
The laying of the foundation stone of the infant school is reported in the Register,
18 July 1925, page 10c; also see
24 April 1926, page 12f.
The opening of the infant school and the laying of the foundation stone of the primary are reported in the Advertiser,
24 April 1926, page 16g;
photographs are in the Chronicle,
1 May 1926, page 40; also see
22 and 24 April 1926, pages 8e and 12f,
24 March 1927, page 18a,
20 February 1928, page 11c.
"Trams to be Extended" is in the Register,
9 February 1927, page 11e.
Also see Adelaide - Transport - Tramways.
Information on a picture theatre is in the Register,
23 July 1927, page 10c (inc. photo.).
Information on a new theatre is in the Advertiser,
23 June 1926, page 18d,
26 July 1927, page 16d.
Also see South Australia - Entertainment and the Arts - Moving Pictures and Television.
Information on the State School Mothers' Club is in The News,
25 April 1929, page 7d.
A photograph of the opening of a schoolroom at St Teresa's Church is in the Observer,
22 May 1926, page 34; also see
24 March 1928, page 36,
14 July 1928, page 35.
Information on the "eight churches" in the suburb is in the Observer,
19 September 1925, page 66d.
"Shopping Areas" is in the Register,
25 March 1926, page 8f.
A photograph of a brass band is in the Observer,
14 August 1926, page 34,
of the Institute committee on
25 June 1927, page 31.
An obituary of Mrs Elizabeth J. Dalton is in the Register,
16 September 1926, page 8g,
of J.W. English on 2 October 1926, page 16e,
of William M. Besanko on 12 May 1928, page 6d,
of Edward S. Duggin on 13 August 1928, page 11g.
Photographs of and information of tree planting on the site of the former military camp is in the Chronicle,
4 September 1930, page 34.
The name honours Sir John Colton, MP (1862-1887). Born in Devonshire in 1828, he came to South Australia in the Duchess of Northumberland in 1839, when his parents settled at McLaren Vale on a property they called 'Daringa'. Upon arrival it was found that John Colton, the eldest of four sons, had pleurisy and, upon return to health, he remained in the city and later founded a business in Hindley Street which became Harrold, Colton and Co. He was eventually knighted for his services to the State.
Also see South Australia - Politics.
A satirical poem is in the Observer,
23 September 1876, page 13f,
7 September 1878, page 19d,
The Adelaide Punch,
11 May 1878, page 3.
A summary of John Colton's parliamentary career is in the Observer,
7 September 1878, page 11g; also see
25 March 1868, page 2d under "An Honest Press":
It appears that Mr John Colton has suddenly discovered a new mission for himself - the censorship of the Press... colonial editors... should pass through a course of moral lectures under Mr John Colton...
To say that he spoke with a consciousness of his sayings of last session is to charge him not only with inconsistency but with a grave dereliction of principle. It is charitable to believe that... when he soared into the butterfly life of the Premiership, and was free to flit here and there sipping the intoxicating sweets of power, he lost all knowledge of what belonged to that lower and grublike state of existence when he was simply Treasurer... What a fortuitous thing it is for SA that at this momentous crisis her fortunes are guided by him of such accurate information, sound judgement and comprehensive views!
(Also see Register, 22 February 1877, page 4c - "Mr Colton and The Register".)
The Premier has now grown so accustomed to the habit of political inconsistency that it has long ceased to be matter of surprise to us that he should unsay at one time what he has most emphatically asserted on a previous occasion.
(Also see Register, 20 March 1877, page 5g for a satirical comment on the beleaguered gentleman.)
In spite of stubbornness and that absence of conciliatory spirit which has alienated support, he has never ceased to command respect in parliament... We have never ceased to recognise the fact that he has in him stuff of which statesmen are made [and] that his influence upon legislation has been for good and not evil...
(Also see Register,
2 January 1892, page 5f.
His obituary appears on
7 February 1902, pages 4f-6g.)
21 December 1887, page 4c.
Biographical details are in the Observer,
9 January 1892, page 33a,
17 February 1894, page 8b.
Lady Colton's obituary is in the Chronicle,
6 August 1898, page 20e.
6 August 1898, page 41a,
that of John W. Colton on
29 December 1906, page 38b.
"The Late Sir John Colton" is in the Register,
7 February 1902, pages 4f-6g.
"Lady Colton Memorial" is in the Register,
24 September 1898, page 8a,
3 August 1899, page 4i,
24 January 1900, page 5a,
12 July 1900, page 4f.
Information on a Colton memorial in the Pirie St Methodist Church is in the Register, 25 September 1905, page 8d.
Colton - Foundation of the West Coast Settlement
On 21 December 1880 Daniel Thomas Kenny (1849-1934), Michael Kelly's eldest son, entered into an agreement with the Department of Lands to purchase sections 43W and 59, Hundred of Colton, comprising 97 and 274 acres respectively - this land adjoined the junction of five roads and as such was a prime sight for a hotel to cater for travellers in an area which was gradually being opened up for closer settlement.
His brother, Michael S.W. Kenny, took over the land on 12 April 1887 and completed the purchase of same in 1902. During this period he was active in alienating portion of it, which the Register of 25 May 1901 described as a `private township'- his contribution was providing land for a showground in 1894, a hall in 1903 and, with the cooperation of his brother, the erection of a hotel which opened for business in 1884; at other times he was described as a "banker", postmaster and poundkeeper.
Adjacent to the Kenny land, the government reserved for a school a small portion of section 57 - it opened in 1885 and closed in 1956 (see Observer, 29 January 1898, page 29a), while in 1886 the Catholic Church purchased section 76c (two acres) followed by the purchase of section 57c (two acres) by the Church of England in 1904.
The nucleus of the settlement was all but completed with the opening of a general store together with a blacksmith's shop on section 60b (later renumbered 192).
The settlement is described in the Chronicle, 21 February 1885, page 22d.
Colton - Miscellany
A farewell dinner to Mr Michael Kenny prior to his departure from the Freeling district is reported in the Register,
5 August 1871, page 7b; also see
14 March 1868, page 6d under "Publicans and Politics" for comment on the said gentleman.
A letter concerning Michael Kenny's (senior) exploits on the Victorian goldfields is in the Register,
30 December 1878, page 7d.
Michael Kenny senior's, "Experiences of a Pioneer" is in the Register,
24 February 1887, page 3g and
his obituary on
17 May 1892, page 5c.
His son's reminiscences are in the Advertiser,
4 August 1932, page 10i.
Information on the Kenny family is in the Observer,
20 August 1927, page 47d.
A letter of complaint from a local farmer over government procrastination is in the Register,
13 November 1879, page 7c:
Our wheat has to be taken in small boats to vessels in Waterloo Bay and they moor nearly a mile from the landing places which is not only a loss and inconvenience to the farmers by the grain getting wet, but also to the masters of such vessels...
The Hundred is described in the Chronicle,
2 September 1876, page 11c.
A letter from Michael Kenny is in the Observer, 5 March 1881, page 403a:
We farmers of Colton must have grievously sinned, or we must have come to this western coast under an unfavourable planet, for it seems the fates are against us. I was at Waterloo Bay a few days ago and any man looking at what is made of the jetty would say it is going towards the land in place of facing deep water.... Our good government are liberal. But not always where the shoe most pinches, for we of Colton have been looking for a jetty this past four years... Squatters do not want jetties; they can roll a bag of wool down any cliff, when we farmers must carry our bags of wheat on our backs...
We were promised a weekly mail when this mail contract was gone into two years ago, and we only got the smallest half of it, for the mail from Streaky Bay passes through Colton every Thursday morning for Port Lincoln and the mail from Adelaide passes the same evening, bringing newspapers and letters. No matter what importance the letters are they must remain unanswered until the Streaky Bay mail calls the following Thursday...
A sports day is reported in the Chronicle,
25 January 1879, page 2a (supp),
1 April 1882, page 22g,
28 March 1885, page 15b,
7 April 1888, page 22f (includes horse races),
2 April 1887, page 19d,
29 March 1892, page 4a (horse races),
7 April 1894, page 14g (horse races),
29 March 1902, page 18b (horse races).
A horse race meeting is reported in the Observer,
15 November 1913, page 23d.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Horse Racing.
A Show and ploughing match are reported in the Register,
6 October 1884, page 6e; also see
17 November 1888, page 12e,
29 October 1889, page 7b,
26 March 1892, page 14g,
29 October 1892, page 7d,
5 November 1895, page 7e,
18 October 1898, page 7d,
2 November 1907, page 44b,
4 November 1911, page 33,
20 October 1917, page 12e.
Photographs are in the Observer,
27 October 1906, page 29,
5 August 1911, page 29,
26 August 1911, page 31.
South Australia - Agricultural, Floricultural & Horticultural Shows
South Australia - Industries - Rural, Primary and Secondary - Farming - Ploughing Matches.
A letter from Michael Kenny in respect of the rabbit plague is in the Register,
9 February 1881 (supp.), page 2c - also see
2 and 24 March 1881, pages 7e and 3c (supp.),
22 August 1882 (supp.), page 1c,
12 September 1882 (supp.), page 1c,
13 March 1884, page 7e,
11 August 1884, page 7a,
4 November 1884, page 7a:
I am certain I have solved the rabbit problem [his method is then discussed at length] - Something must be done at once... because we cockatoos can never be got to pull together.
3 and 26 November 1885, pages 7g and 7e,
12, 18, 19, 20 and 26 January 1886, pages 6b, 5d, 7c, 7d and 6g,
2 and 9 February 1886, pages 7f and 5f,
24 April 1886, page 6h,
10 and 12 May 1886, pages 7h and 6b,
10 July 1886, page 7e,
2 August 1886, page 6d,
7 August 1886, pages 3g-h-7f,
16 and 28 August 1886, pages 3f and 7g.
Also see Register,
7 September 1886, page 3b,
7 December 1886, page 7c,
2 June 1887, page 3g,
1 March 1888, page 6c,
9 July 1888, page 7h,
14 August 1888, page 7f,
13 December 1888, page 6g,
8 September 1891, page 7d.
Also see South Australia - Flora and Fauna - Rabbits.
The settlement is described in the Chronicle,
21 February 1885, page 22d.
A letter in respect of the Colton mail service is in the Observer,
15 May 1886, page 40b.
Also see South Australia - Communications - Mail and Postal.
Jubilee demonstrations are reported in the Observer,
17 September 1887, page 34c.
Information on the Catholic Church is in the Chronicle,
5 December 1891, page 6b.
"Lost in the Scrub" is in the Observer,
25 April 1896, page 28a.
The Hundred of Colton is described in the Register,
24 December 1898, page 5f.
The settlement is described as "a private township" in the Register,
25 May 1901, page 8e; also see
21, 24 and 28 August 1906, pages 6c, 7a and 7a and
7 and 9 August 1906, pages 7e and 8e.
The opening of a hall is reported in the Observer,
12 September 1903, page 7c (supp.).
"With the Colton Pioneers" is in the Register,
21 and 24 August 1906, pages 6c and 7a,
25 August 1906, page 41b,
1 September 1906, page 40a.
A photograph of "pioneer selectors" is in the Chronicle,
4 August 1906, page 29,
of pioneers on
12 February 1910, page 29,
of a Show committee in the Observer,
27 October 1906, page 29,
of Mr M.S.W. Kenny driving a horse and buggy in the Observer,
22 August 1908, page 31,
of the town on
11 November 1911, page 32.
of Michael Kenny, junior, on
14 July 1928, page 22a.
A cricket match against Elliston is reported in the Chronicle,
11 August 1906, page 39a.
Also see South Australia - Sport - Cricket - Miscellany.
An obituary of George North is in the Register,
3 February 1911, page 4i,
11 February 1911, page 41a,
of John Shipard on 5 August 1911, page 41a,
of Mrs George Mayers on 3 June 1916, page 20c,
of Mrs Mary Dinnison on 30 June 1917, page 19a,
of Patrick P. Kenny on 4 April 1922, page 6g.
The reminiscences of Dan Kenny are in the Register,
4 September 1911, page 6f.
An obituary of Mrs William A. Burns is in the Register,
7 November 1913, page 8a,
of David Washington on 14 November 1913, page 8a,
of Mrs Mary Dinnison on 26 June 1917, page 4g,
of John McCracken on 10 January 1919, page 6h,
of S.H. Whitehead on 30 June 1925, page 15f.